Jaxson is a 5 year old boy who lives with both parents and his older sister in the suburbs of a large city. Jaxson was diagnosed with Type I diabetes 2 years ago which has been well managed by his parents. He is developing normally and is about to start pre-school. As he will need to become more independent in the management of his diabetes he requires further education on how to test his blood glucose level (BGL). It is your role as the practice nurse of his local medical centre to teach him how to do this.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
Charlotte is a 13 year old girl who lives with her father and her younger brother in a small house in the suburbs. Her mother passed away four years ago and Charlotte often stays with her grandmother during the week to be closer to school. Charlotte has made an appointment with the school nurse because she is concerned about when menstruation will commence. You are the school nurse working with Charlotte today.
You are the registered nurse working in a Women’s health centre. Jessica is a healthy 36 year old mother of 2 young children aged 4 and 7. Jessica has become more aware of the risk of breast cancer due to her maternal aunt’s recent diagnosis and subsequent treatment and she is seeking education regarding how she can be proactive in her health care.
For this assessment students are required to choose one (1) of the scenarios outlined below and present a client teaching activity (CTA) that is culturally and developmentally appropriate. The nursing and teaching process must be adhered to and the following points must be included:
The assignment will be marked out of 100 and then calculated to a mark out of 40, which is what you will see in grade centre and Turnitin
Refer to the Rubric for individual criterion mark allocation.
Structure and presentation 0 – 20 marks
· Adhere to the SNM assignment guidelines for semester 1- 2017 (link is in the assessment 2 folder) e.g. NO headers and footers, page numbers Top RH, margin sizes, spacing, font, word count etc.
· Use the electronic Turnitin covers sheet with ELP (link is in the assessment 2 folder).
· Please identify which scenario you have addressed in the Turnitin title when you submit, eg CTA scenario 1 .
· If you have been granted an extension please attach the completed form as the last page of the assignment.
· Ensure that you have good paragraph structure e.g. one topic per paragraph, refer to Grellier and Goerke textbook and NCS1102 notes for a refresher on this.
· This is an academic paper so should be written in the 3rd person.
· Succinct introduction and conclusion. The introduction should include a brief overview of the chosen client but do not copy verbatim as this is an unnecessary use of your word count. You may include the scenario as an appendix if you wish.
· No new material to be included in the conclusion
Content 0 – 40 marks
· Assessment: assess the client thoroughly, this means their physical, cognitive, psychomotor skills, psychosocial status and developmental stage. Link the developmental discussion to at least one theorist, for instance you may choose Piaget for Jaxson or Erikson for Jessica. You may use different developmental theorists for other categories to demonstrate your depth of knowledge. Emphasis on each component of the assessment may differ depending on the client. Consider social, cultural and family issues. Identify the client’s learning needs, language skills, motivation, ability to learn, teaching environment and resources for learning. You need a comprehensive assessment in order to identify the problem / nursing diagnosis.
· Nursing Diagnosis: Provide a problem statement that reflects the client’s specific learning needs. This only needs to be a couple of lines and remember this is a CTA so it will be related to a knowledge deficit either cognitive, psychomotor or affective or a combination of these.
· Plan: Develop one short-term and one long-term client learning objective. Ensure that these goals follow the SMART format (e.g. specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and timely). Once this is done think about how you will deliver the education, plan your activity. Select appropriate teaching methods based on the client’s developmental stage (cognitive, physical and psychosocial ability), this could be role play, a game, demonstration of the task. This plan needs to be matched to the clients learning needs and your assessment of the client. Consider timing as well as teaching materials to maintain the client’s attention
· Implementation: Describe your teaching approaches, what instructional methods that will be used and give details about how you will implement the education of the client. It could be that you use telling, selling reinforcing etc. Will you need to use any props or equipment such as posters, blood glucose machines?
· Evaluation: Explain how you will determine if the client’s learning outcomes have been met. When will you evaluate the client? Maybe it will be to get the client to explain the information back to you or demonstrate what task you have shown them.
Application of critical thinking 0 – 20 marks
· You need to integrate / relate the theories (developmental and learning) to the case study to demonstrate that you can apply your knowledge to the development of the CTA and its delivery to the client. Think about Blooms taxonomy and other learning theories (affective, cognitive and psychomotor) when you are writing your assignment. The ability to make appropriate reference to these helps demonstrate your critical thinking.
Referencing 0 – 10 marks
· 5 – 10 references, 3 MUST be from peer reviewed journals.
· Must follow APA style. The ECU referencing guide is your best friend!
· Must be error free both in and end text to achieve the higher marks.
· References must be “quality” to achieve the higher marks.
English language proficiency 0 – 10
· Good sentence and paragraph structure
· Easy to understand sentences
· Error free spelling and punctuation.
· Logical application of ideas and arguments