1) Technology Overview (30 points).
- Choose a healthcare technology that is used to complete a nursing task or function. This may be a stand-alone technology, such as a vital signs monitor, a nursing task or function that is completed within the EHR, or any other software or technology tool used in nursing practice. Be sure to choose a technology with which a nurse interacts that can be analyzed using the 10 Usability Heuristics for Interface Design (see Step 4).
- Describe the technology, including its history and evolution and how it is used in nursing care.
- Describe how the technology improved or enhanced patient care, safety and/or outcomes.
2) Workflow Analysis (30 points). Analyze the clinical workflow surrounding the use of the technology.
- Create a current state process map illustrating each step of a nurse’s workflow using the technology. Describe the current workflow.
- Discuss how the technology enhances and/or hinders the clinical workflow. How might the technology or workflow be adjusted to increase efficiency or better support patient care? If appropriate, you may create a future state process map illustrating the improved workflow.
3) Human-Technology Interface (30 points). Analyze the human-technology interface.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
- Find or take a picture of the technology including all screens or parts with which a nurse interacts. (Note: If it is not possible to find or take a screen capture from the EHR, you may mock-up the screen(s) using Word or PowerPoint drawing tools).
- Describe how the nurse interacts with the technology or computer screen(s) step-by-step.
- Evaluate the human-technology interface using the 10 Usability Heuristics for Interface Design What could be improved? Why? Be sure to address each factor.
4) Summary (10 points).
- Summarize your findings.
- Present recommended changes to the technology and/or workflow as appropriate.